Thursday, May 21, 2020

Granini's Orange Cranberry Pecan Scones



Granini's Orange Cranberry Pecan Scones

Yum!

Ingredients

1 ¼ cups heavy whipping cream (if you don't have heavy whipping cream, you may substitute ⅓ cup melted butter, cooled
¾ cup half & half, slightly warmed)
2 cups flour
½ cup (take 1 Tablespoon away) sugar (you'll need 2 more tablespoons later)
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cardamom
½ cup candied pecans, roughly chopped
½ cup craisins, roughly chopped
2 clementine oranges, zested (you'll need one more). [You'll need roughly 2 tablespoons of zest, but don't bother with the measuring spoon. A rough guestimate is fine.] *And, yes, you can substitute oranges. I just don't happen to have oranges lying around, and my fridge always has clementines. So whatever. Honestly. This recipe is completely adaptable.
1 piece of parchment paper & a cookie sheet

For the topping:
1 tablespoon butter, melted to brush onto the unbaked scones

2 tablespoons sugar
1 clementine orange, zested. [You'll need roughly 1 tablespoon of zest, but again, don't bother with the measuring spoon. A rough guestimate is fine.] 
In a small bowl, stir the sugar and orange zest together

I adapted & fidgeted with a recipe from epicurious (click here for original recipe) that called for apricots (blech) and lemon (which I didn't have). It also called for heavy whipping cream which I also didn't have. I'd blame Covid, but frankly, I almost never have heavy whipping cream on hand.

Frankly, you could probably add in any dried fruits and/or nuts that suited your fancy, or whatever you happened to have in your pantry, and you'd make a pretty darned tasty scone.

I've made scones before, but they haven't always turned out. Often they weren't sweet enough. Or they were a bit stodgy. This time, however, they were quite delicious. I think adding a wee bit of sugar on top really helped to sweeten them up without ruining the dough. I hope you enjoy!

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 415℉.
2. Melt butter and allow to cool to room temperature, without solidifying.
3. Heat up your half & half so that it's warm, but not hot.

*If you have heavy whipping cream, you can obviously skip steps 2 and 3.

4. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cardamom.
5. Stir in the chopped pecans, craisins, and orange zest.
6. Carefully mix together the cooled melted butter and the half & half in a bowl. If the two do not want to mix together on their own, use an immersion blender to encourage the marriage.
7. Pour the butter and half & half blended mixture into the dry ingredients.
8. Very carefully, stir the ingredients together. You do not want to overmix, or the scones will be chewy and dense and stodgy. Only mix until all the dry ingredients have been moistened.
9. Form the dough into a large ball and pat it down until it's roughly 1 inch thick. Slice into 12 pieces. Or, maybe into 8 pieces. 12 pieces makes small scones. I think I honestly prefer larger scones. But hey, whatevs. This recipe is adaptable, remember??
10. Put a piece of parchment paper onto a cookie sheet.
11. Carefully transfer the scones onto the cookie sheet, leaving a wee bit of room between each of the scones. They will expand while baking. But I did find that all 12 of them fit onto one cookie sheet. I just alternated the way they were facing to make them fit (see picture below).
12. In a small bowl, mix 2 Tablespoons of sugar with 1 Tablespoon of orange zest.
13. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
14. Gently brush melted butter on top of each scone.
15. Sprinkle sugar/zest onto each scone. I found there was ample sugar for each scone to get a rather liberal sprinkle.
16. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
17. Transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool slightly (or completely) before serving.

Next time, I think I'd like to make some lemon curd to serve alongside with the scones. I've heard of clotted cream being served with scones too, but I've never had nor made clotted cream. Perhaps I should look into that.

Anywhoooooo, the scones did NOT last long. They're tasty and delicious and yum.

I hope you enjoy!!

See pictures below.
Making the sugar orange zest for the topping

Dry ingredients all mixed together.

Added in the milk and melted butter.

Formed into a ball and patted down to 1 inch thick. Ish. It's not as if I get out the ruler and check.

 Cut into 12 pieces. Immediately regretting not cutting into 8 pieces for bigger scones. There are 4 of us living here now. I think two apiece sounds good. Three each feels a bit guilty. Hmmm.


Brush with butter. I wonder what they'd taste like without the butter. Hmmm. Something to try.

Sprinkle some of that sugar orange zest onto each one.

Ready for the oven.

Mmmmmm, boy howdy that looks amazing. SOOO hard to wait until they were cooler to eat!!!

Deliciousness on my plate. Yummm!!




* * * * *

I not only bake and cook, I write murder mysteries too!

Both books are available in paperback and kindle versions

Diamonds for Diamond 
(Book 1 in the Jack Diamond Mystery series)
and
No One Noticed
(Book 2 in the Jack Diamond Mystery Series)

Currently writing:
Book 2.5: Yet to be named: Jack and Claire's love story


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment