Sunday, May 10, 2020

Granini's Cheesy Biscuits




Granini's Cheesy Biscuits

I've been making biscuits for a gajillion years.  They're incredibly easy to make, and are so very simple that they're hard to screw up.  Not only do we eat them with breakfast (biscuits and gravy!), and dinner (soup and biscuits), but sometimes I sweeten them up with a bit of powdered sugar, and we eat them for dessert as a 'base' for strawberry shortcake.  We've also been known to eat them for snack time, sliced in half, and toasted with melted sharp cheddar cheese.

BUT THEN...

I got addicted to Kashmiri chili powder. There's a long story there... but needless to say, I started putting it in everything.

So I've adapted my original biscuit recipe, and turned it into a cheesy biscuit recipe, and the kiddos and the hubster LOVE them. This morning I made them to go with mushroom gravy and scrambled eggs. Delish!!!


Ingredients:

5 Tablespoons butter (unsalted) or margarine
1 teaspoon Tony Chachere's original creole seasoning
½ teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder 
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 to 3/4 cups buttermilk

** I truly do prefer these biscuits using buttermilk, rather than milk.  However, I very rarely remember to save any buttermilk aside after having made my buttermilk pancakes.  But if and when I happen to have buttermilk just hanging around in my fridge, I use it.  If I don't have any, I use regular milk, but then I add in 3 teaspoons of lemon juice (sounds weird, but I promise, it works), and the biscuits are still quite delicious!  I promise.  It won't be the end of the world if you don't happen to have any buttermilk.  No need to dash off to the store just to make these biscuits.  And, just to be honest, 9 times out of 10, I make them without the buttermilk.  They're just über delicious with the buttermilk.  Just sayin'.

Directions:

  1. Using a pastry knife, cut the butter, salt, baking powder, and flour together until the mixture looks like course oatmeal.
  2. Pour milk over the mixture.
  3. Using a fork, using as few strokes as possible, slowly stir the mixture together until a dough ball forms.  
  4. Sprinkle a little flour onto a surface area.
  5. Turn the dough out onto the lightly floured working area.
  6. Gently roll the dough to about an inch and a quarter thick.  When I'm in a hurry, I just pat the dough flat, skipping the rolling pin altogether.  Why wash another thing?  I'm lazy, I know.
  7. Lightly flour a biscuit cutter and cut the biscuits out, and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake at 390° for 12 to 15 minutes, or until very lightly golden brown.  Best served while hot.  But they're VERY tasty when they're room temperature too.


Oh yeah.  That's just mouth waterin' goodness, right there.  
Try them with Granini's Biscuits and Gravy.  
With super cheesy scrambled eggs.  
Mmmmmm.

What's that? You want the recipe for my biscuits and gravy?  Why, of course!!  You can find the recipe here: Granini's Biscuits & Gravy

And here's the link to my original biscuits recipe: Granini's Biscuits

Enjoy!

* * * * *

I not only bake and cook, I write murder mysteries too!

Both books are available in paperback and kindle versions

Diamonds for Diamond 
(Book 1 in the Jack Diamond Mystery series)
and
No One Noticed
(Book 2 in the Jack Diamond Mystery Series)

Currently writing:
Book 2.5: Yet to be named: Jack and Claire's love story


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment