Thursday, February 13, 2014

Evidently I'm inedible. At least for lions.

I read an article the other day about a zoo which had killed one of its giraffes and fed it to one of its lions.  The article recited mumbo jumbo regarding the genetic code of said giraffe having met its quota and so forth, and the zoo did not want to create an "inbreeding" of said giraffe's genetic material, blah blah blah.

Despite the debate over whether or not such a decision by said zoo was or was not in fact ethical, I found the article fascinating.  Not because of the debate itself, but rather in their decision to kill the giraffe with a bullet, rather than euthanizing the animal.

Turns out, if they had given the giraffe anesthesia in order to end its life in a more "humane" manner, the giraffe would no longer have been edible for the lions.  Not wanting to waste 200 kilograms of meat, they opted for a bullet and gave the lions a tasty treat.

Again, putting aside the ethical debate over the method of death, or the fact that they euthanized a giraffe in the first place, my sick and twisted mind instantly sighed in relief.

You see, after having recently undergone not one, but TWO surgeries in the last several weeks, I have recently been given extensive quantities of anesthesia.

And as such, I am not edible!  Yay me!

At least not for lions.

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment