Monday, March 10, 2014

DST: an app for even the most reluctant riser

We lost an hour of sleep over the weekend due to Daylight Savings Time.  The time change doesn't really affect me too much.  I am a bit more sleepy today than I have been.  But it will pass in a day or two.

My kids, on the other hand, are dramatically affected by the time change.  When they were little, it took me two weeks to get them adjusted to the time change.   Kids waking up early, or falling asleep in the middle of dinner.  Or kids falling asleep too late and not wanting to wake up at all.

 I loathed the time change each and every fall and spring.

A few days ago I heard an advertisement on the radio for a new app that you can purchase.  It comes with a plug-in.  Essentially, from what I understand, the "alarm" goes off at the time you set and it triggers the plug-in to release the smell of bacon.  The "alarm" sounds exactly like bacon cooking.  Wake up to the sounds and smells of sizzling bacon!


Thanks to abc news for the photo

You can download the free app here from iTunes:


And you can enter the free contest to win the plug-in, still in its beta-testing stages here:



As I shared my discovery with my daughter, the vegetarian, she nearly gagged.  Bacon is not her favorite smell, as you can well imagine.  She did, however, come up with an ingenious plan for a new app.

This app *also* comes with an attachment.  

In my daughter's app, she thinks the alarm should go off in the morning as a warning.  You have one shot of getting up and placing your feet on the floor.  If you don't get up in time to turn off the alarm, then the second time the alarm goes off, the little attachment opens.

You see, the little attachment in my daughter's app, is a small cage.  A cage filled with, wait for it, *SPIDERS.*  With each ten second interval that you do not get up and turn off the alarm, the cage opens and releases another spider.

In my head, the spiders are the size of Aragog and his children.  Eeeep!  But even if the caged spiders were "normal" sized, her idea certainly would get me out of bed in a timely manner!  

I'm quite certain the planning and programming of the app shouldn't be too complicated  Just think!  We'll be rich!  

If only we had a way to cage up those spiders...

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment