Sunday, March 2, 2014

Powder Room Renovations



Powder Room Renovation




Over the last little while I've been slowly renovating our house.  I've never liked the orange colored wood throughout, so I started with the master bathroom (I'll share those pictures later).  I liked the changes so much that I renovated all three of the bathrooms.  Here are the before and after pictures of the Powder Room Renovation.

First, I ripped down all the wall paper and took down the mirror.  Then, I sanded all the wood trim and painted it white.  Then I sanded and stained all the orange wood and turned it into a red mahogany.  I took out and replaced the toilet.  

The tough part was choosing a color.  I started with a grey and hated it.  I was trying to replicate a Pinterest inspiration (Pinspiration?) with silver squares.  But I hated it.  So then I painted it a peanut butter brown, and hated that too.  Then I decided to go bold, and painted it red.  Success!!

Then I painted the ceiling white.  Probably should have done that first.  Lesson learned.

Painting on the bronze squares turned into quite a challenge.  I thought I would be able to find a template, but none of them worked the way I had envisioned.  So, I ended up taping blue tape throughout the entire bathroom, making sure everything was level, and then taped vertically and removing the sections as necessary to leave the squares open.  I painted over each of the squares with the red paint to seal off the tape, then painted several coats of the bronze to make sure the squares stayed crisp.




At this point I realized that I had TOO many squares, so I had to re-tape, adding MORE tape to cover every other open square.




Once the tape came down I was thrilled with the results!!!






 Then I replaced the mirror, replaced the faucet, had my handy hubby replace the electrical outlets, replaced all the cream colored outlet covers with oil rubbed bronze, and then added cupboard door pulls, also in oil rubbed bronze.




Then I added a few pieces of artwork that I found at Bed Bath & Beyond, 




and voila!  Completion!!








Whew!

Materials used:

Granite: Typhoon Bordeaux, 3 cm, from Brazil
Backsplash: Sunset Picture Mosaic 1x1 tiles
and Somerset 1/2 x 6 oil rubbed bronze rope liner from Lowe's

Grout:  Fusion Pro Charcoal

Picture Framed Mirror:  TJ Max
Light Fixture: Lowe's
Decorative Clock and artwork: Bed Bath and Beyond
Oil Rubbed Bronze outlet covers from Lowe's
Oil Rubbed Bronze fixtures: Lowe's

* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment