Thursday, June 9, 2016

Granini's Biscuits



Granini's Biscuits

I've been making these biscuits for a gajillion years.  They're incredibly easy to make, and are so very simple that they're hard to screw up.  Not only do we eat them with breakfast (biscuits and gravy!), and dinner (soup and biscuits), but sometimes I sweeten them up with a bit of powdered sugar, and we eat them for dessert as a 'base' for strawberry shortcake.  We've also been known to eat them for snack time, sliced in half, and toasted with melted sharp cheddar cheese. 

However you like to eat them, these biscuits are tasty, easy to make, and sure to please.

Ingredients:

5 Tablespoons butter (unsalted) or margarine
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 3/4 cups flour
2/3 to 3/4 cups milk (or buttermilk)**

** I truly do prefer these biscuits using buttermilk, rather than milk.  However, I very rarely remember to save any buttermilk aside after having made my buttermilk pancakes.  But if and when I happen to have buttermilk just hanging around in my fridge, I use it.  If I don't have any, I use regular milk, and they're still quite delicious!  I promise.  It won't be the end of the world if you don't happen to have any buttermilk.  No need to dash off to the store just to make these biscuits.  And, just to be honest, 9 times out of 10, I make them without the buttermilk.  They're just über delicious with the buttermilk.  Just sayin'.

Directions:

  1. Using a pastry knife, cut the butter, salt, baking powder, and flour together until the mixture looks like course oatmeal.
  2. Pour milk over the mixture.
  3. Using a fork, using as few strokes as possible, slowly stir the mixture together until a dough ball forms.  
  4. Sprinkle a little flour onto a surface area.
  5. Turn the dough out onto the lightly floured working area.
  6. Gently roll the dough to about an inch and a quarter thick.  When I'm in a hurry, I just pat the dough flat, skipping the rolling pin altogether.  Why wash another thing?  I'm lazy, I know.
  7. Lightly flour a biscuit cutter and cut the biscuits out, and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
  8. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes, or until very lightly golden brown.  Best served while hot.  But they're VERY tasty when they're room temperature too.
And for those of you who like pictures with the directions, I'm ever so sorry!  I forgot to take pictures along the way.  Next time I make them, I'll try to remember.  As a consolation prize, here's a picture of the biscuits right before my kiddo ate them as part of biscuits and gravy!


Oh yeah.  That's just mouth waterin' goodness, right there.  
GranNini's Biscuits and Gravy.  
With super cheesy scrambled eggs.  
Mmmmmm.

What's that? You want the recipe for my biscuits and gravy?  Why, of course!!  I'll post that up next.

Enjoy!

* * * * *

I not only bake and cook, I write murder mysteries too!

Both books are available in paperback and kindle versions

Diamonds for Diamond 
(Book 1 in the Jack Diamond Mystery series)
and
No One Noticed
(Book 2 in the Jack Diamond Mystery Series)


* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment