Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Granini's Homemade Caramel Sauce

Granini's Homemade Caramel Sauce

source

I was so grateful to come upon this recipe for homemade caramel sauce when I was pinteresting one day. The first time I made it I was eager with anticipation. Now I almost regret having made it, as it is SO good that I can't ever go back to anything else.

It is a simple and easy recipe. And it tastes mmmm good on top of, well, anything. But it particularly tastes yummy on my apple pies.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 Tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt (if you're using unsalted butter. If you're using salted butter, no need to add in the extra salt)
1/2 to 3/4 cup evaporated milk *
1 Tablespoon vanilla

Directions:
In a heavy saucepan, add butter, brown sugar, water, and (optional) salt. Cook over medium heat until the butter begins to melt.

Allow the mixture to boil for five minutes. It will bubble. A lot. Just keep stirring. Constantly.

Once the five minutes are up, remove from heat. Slowly pour in the evaporated milk and stir completely. Mix in the vanilla.

When you dip in your spoon to taste, because you're going to have to, make sure you blow on the spoon first to cool the caramel down. It is mighty hot, and you will burn every.single.taste.bud.off.your.tongue. And then you won't be able to taste the caramel on your pie! And that, my dear, is a travesty.

If you happen to have any of the caramel sauce leftover, simply pour it into an air tight container and keep it in the fridge. Mine never seems to last very long in the fridge -- not because it goes bad, but because I'm a fat chick with a sweet tooth, and there's no way I'm going to allow a container of caramel sauce go to waste.

And I promise, neither will you.

Enjoy!

Yummmm!


Click here for more Thanksgiving Recipes

Or for more of my pie recipes
click here for The Week of Pie


*Now, once upon a time, I got my evaporated milk and my sweetened condensed milk all mixed up in my head. It happens. Particularly when I'm at the grocery store, and I'm supposed to buy the one for the pumpkin pie, and I can't remember which one it's supposed to be, and they're all out of the pumpkin I like, so I can't even look at the back of the can of pumpkin for their recipe to see which one they use, and my phone's internet is not connecting in the baking aisle, and people are pushing and shoving and irritated because they have to bake and cook for their relatives, and their stress levels are growing by the instant, and I'm all alone. So yeah. It happens.
So. This one time I made this caramel sauce with sweetened condensed milk rather than evaporated milk. And that one time, well, let's just say I was not disappointed!! I'd be curious to taste the two recipes side to side, to see which recipe I preferred. And I'm thinking if you used the sweetened condensed milk you could probably cut back on the amount of brown sugar that you need for the rest of the recipe. Perhaps I shall do an experiment in January when my sugar coma has subsided from all the holiday treats, and I'm yearning for something delish to experiment on.

Maybe I'll just do that.


* * * * *

Find other tasty Thanksgiving Dinner dishes here:


And tasty pie recipes here:



* * * * *

I not only bake and cook, I write murder mysteries too!

Both books are available in paperback and kindle versions

Diamonds for Diamond 
(Book 1 in the Jack Diamond Mystery series)
and
No One Noticed
(Book 2 in the Jack Diamond Mystery Series)


No comments:

Post a Comment