Friday, June 6, 2014

Kitchen Remodel (Day 15) - Baseboards!

Kitchen Remodel (Day 15) - Baseboards!

So half the baseboards were installed yesterday.  Yay!  They look amazing.

We picked a moulding with lots of movement in it and a larger height than our current molding.  I wanted BOLD.  I wanted DARING.  I wanted CHANGE!  And mostly, I wanted WHITE!

Then we decided to pay a wee bit more for Hemlock, rather than Pine or MDF.  We're pretty hard on our baseboards.  I didn't want MDF on the floors.  For the crown molding? Sure.  No one will ever touch that stuff once it's up.  But for the baseboards, I wanted real wood.  The pine was so soft that I could dent it with my fingernail, so we opted for Hemlock.  We ended up paying $1.75 per linear foot for our 3 ¾ inch hemlock moulding, vs.  $1.31 for a 4 inch MDF at Home Depot.  So it cost me $123 more for the Hemlock, and I think it was worth EVERY penny.

I painted the baseboards, we had a finish guy cut and install, and then I caulked everything and touched up the nail holes, and gave it a quick touch up with paint.  Looks spectacular.

I'll post more pics as I get them done. The area around the newel post, for example, is outstanding.  But until the new carpet goes in, it won't look as spectacular as it should.  But here are some preview shots:

The hardwood floors moved out, and the baseboards moved in.  Painting 14 foot planks was fun!


 Before

Wow, look at the size difference.  Who says size doesn't matter?

After


WOWZA, what a whammo zammo difference!!!

Before
After
Just imagine how much better it will look when the 24 year old carpet is replaced next month!

 * * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment