Friday, June 6, 2014

Kitchen Remodel (Day 2) - Electricity!

Kitchen Remodel (Day 2) - Electricity!

I have fallen a wee bit behind in my kitchen remodel updates, but to make up for it, I'm hoping to post a great deal over the next few days!

After the great demolition, we were rewarded with electricity.  My old kitchen had a lowered ceiling (soffit) with three fluorescent ballast lights.  Blech.  In all honesty, they never really bothered me, other than the hum, until the neighbors across the street took out their soffit and installed can lights.  WOW.  I fell in love. 

Electricity Part A:  I wanted to make sure we had a LOT of light since I plan on doing a lot of cooking, so I had our electrician put in 8 can lights in our wee tiny kitchen.  I know NOTHING about lights.  He looked at me like I was crazy, and he muttered a few Romanian phrases under his breath, so I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I asked him specifically if 8 was too many, and he said, "Well, you will sure have a lot of light in your kitchen."  I asked him if it was too much, but he said, "No, it's fine."  Well, he does get paid by the hour and by the light -- so it was in his best interest to encourage more light rather than less.  The results are quite bright. :)  I did have him hook them up so that three of them are on one switch, and five on the other, so that it's not TOO overwhelming.  But let's just say we'll never have to worry about not having enough light ever again.  


Here are some pix:














Electricity Part B:  He also installed a second light switch to the left of the sliding glass door, so that I wouldn't have to walk ALL the way around my kitchen table to turn off my kitchen table light.  This adventure took him over an hour and SEVERAL large holes to accomplish, but the results will be fantastic.  I'm so excited.  Squee!


Notice the large rectangular hole in my wall


















* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment